Directions: In each question decide which of four choices given will most suitably complete the sentence if inserted at the place marked. Mark your choices on the ANSWERSHEET.
1.The nuclear family __________ a self-contained, self-satisfying unit composed of father, mother and children.
A. refers to
D. devotes to
2.Some polls show that roughly two-thirds of the general public believe that elderly Americans are________ by social isolation and loneliness.
3.In addition to bettering group and individual performance, cooperation ________ the quality of interpersonal relationship.
4.In the past 50 years, there ________ a great increase in the amount of research _____on the human brain.
B. has been…to be done
D. has been…done
5.“I must have eaten something wrong. I feel like _____ .” “We told you not to eat at a restaurant. You’d better _______ at home when you are not in the shape.”
A. to throw up…to eat
B. throwing up…eating
C. to throw up…eat
D. throwing up…eat
6. Parent shave to show due concerns to their children’s creativity and emotional output; otherwise what they think beneficial to the kids might probably _______ their enthusiasm and aspirations.
A. hold back
B. hold to
C. hold down
D. hold over
7. According to psychoanalysis, a person’s attention is attracted ________ by the intensity of different signals ________ by their context, significance, and information content.
A. not less than…as
B. as…just as
C. so much…as
D. not so much…as
8.They moved to Portland in1998 and lived in a big house, _______ to the south.
A. the windows of which opened
B. the windows of it opened
C. its windows opened
D. the windows of which opening
9.The lady who has_______ for a night in the dead of the winter later turned out to be a distant relation of his.
A. put him up
B. put him out
C. put him on
D. put him in
10.By standers,_______,_________ as they walked past lines of ambulances.
A. bloody and covered with dust, looking dazed
B. bloodied and covered with dust, looked dazed
C. bloody and covered with dust, looked dazed
D. bloodied and covered with dust, looking dazed
11. Hong Kong was not a target for terror attacks, the Government insisted yesterday, as the US________ closed for an apparent security review.
12. American fans have selected Yao in a vote for the All-Star game ______the legendary O’Neal, who ______ the “Great Wall” at the weekend as the Rockets beat the Los Angeles Lakers.-
A. in head of, ran on
B. in head of, ran into
C. ahead of, ran onto
D. ahead of, ran into
13. Professional archivists and librarians have the resources to duplicate materials in other formats and the expertise to retrieve materials trapped in _________ computers.
14. She always prints important documents and stores a backup set at her house. “I actually think there’s something about the______ of paper that feels more comforting.” She said.
15.“They said what we always knew,” said an administration source,___________.
A. he asked not to be named
B. who asked not to be named
C. who asked not be named
D. who asked not named
16.In Germany, the industrial giants Daimler Chrysler and Siemens recently_______ their unions into signing contracts that lengthen work hours without increasing pay.
17. He argues that the policy has done little to ease joblessness, and has left the country_______.
18. The more people hear his demented rants, the more they see that he is a terrorist_______.
A. who is pure and simple
B. being pure and simple
C. pure and simple
D. as pure and simple
19. This expansion of rights has led to both a paralysis of the public service and to a rapid and terrible ________ in the character of the population.